Friday, February 12, 2010

I'm getting my 15 minutes of fame!

I will be interviewed about my free book ("Ask the Right Questions; Get the Right Job") on WPXI's "Our Region's Business" on Sunday at 11a.m. It is rebroadcast on PCNC-TV at 3:30 and 7:30 p.m. that day, and 3:30 p.m. on the subsequent Monday, and then two more times on WJAC-TV (Johnstown – Altoona) at 6 a.m. and WTOV-TV (Wheeling – Steubenville) at 6:30 a.m. It constitutes my 15 minutes of fame!

I have been interviewed on television before (and on the radio and in newspapers). When I was a PR guy and handled news media relations, I often appeared on newscasts answering questions and providing some flak for my employers. That was often uncomfortable.

But this time, I had fun! Bill Flanagan is a great host. And, I had once invited him to lecture my marketing class (years ago), so we knew each other a little. In any event, the six minutes I appeared on his program flew by in a heartbeat. I felt full of enthusiasm, I knew my subject, I was energized and only a wee bit nervous.

So, we'll see if I do well. What is well? I'd say: at ease, knowledgeable, coherent, animated, audience-focused, articulate, confident. That's a tough yardstick to measure against and I'm likely to be my own worst critic. If you watch it, let me know how you think I measure up!

3 comments:

  1. I saw the show and thought you did a very nice job. Just downloaded the book. (Yes I know that's a sentence fragment.) Based on a quick review I'd like to plant the seed that elaboration on interview tips for career changers and long term unemployed would be particularly valuable now. You never know, it might put you on a path back to your would be publisher....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill Flanagan is a great ghost?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA!!! Yes, a great HOST!! The teacher messes up!

    ReplyDelete